How much studying have you done for the PTE academic speaking answer short questions? You should be studying this section to make sure that you feel confident not only listening to the questions but answering them as well.
Each of the questions that you will be asked is short and the answer is short as well. In most cases you will be able to answer the question with only one or two words. That means you do not need to think too hard about the answer or how to say it.
Most Common Questions for the PTE Academic Speaking Answer
There is a large bank of questions that you could be asked in this question type. We will take a look at some of the most common questions that have been asked multiple times as well as the answers that go along with them.
- What do you call an older, unmarried woman? Spinster
- What do you call a man who’s wife is dead? Widower
- What do you call someone who is unable to pay his debts? Insolvent
- What do you call a man who thinks only of himself? Egotistic
- What do you call a cinema show in the afternoon? Matinee
- What do you call something that is not applicable? Irrelevant
- What do you call sleep in the afternoon? Siesta
- What do you call a string of beads used for counting prayers? Rosary
- What do you call a person who has died for their country? Martyr
- What do you call a vehicle used to carry dead bodies? Hearse
- What do you call something that cannot be believed? Incredible
- What do you call science that studies living organisms? Biology
- What do you call someone who has no money? Pauper
- What do you call an eclipse of the moon? Lunar
- What do you call a place where fish are kept? Aquarium
- What do you call anything related to youth? Juvenile
- What do you call a handwritten book? Manuscript
- What do you call a building for horses? Stable
- What do you call someone who knows a lot of languages? Linguist
- What do you call something that cannot be explained? Inexplicable
- What do you call handwriting that can’t be read? Illegible
- What do you call something that cannot be cured? Incurable
- What do you call the killing of a human being? Homicide
- What do you call something that can’t be avoided? Inevitable
- What do you call something that can be easily burned? Flammable
- What do you call someone who looks on the bright side of everything? Optimist
- What do you call having only one wife or husband? Monogamy
- What do you call having more than one wife or husband? Polygamy
While you may not have any of these questions on your exam, practicing with them will help you feel more prepared. Join with a friend and practice the questions together. Have one person read the question aloud and the other answer it. This will help both of you prepare.
Reading the question aloud will help you practice reading the English language, which is a separate section of the exam. Listening to the question and answering it will help you practice for this question type.
Look Up Words You Don’t Know
If you look at the list of questions and answers and don’t know any of the words you should look them up. Look for an audio of the word so you know how it is pronounced. That way you can practice saying the word the right way.
If you do not know the answer to a question above you may want to study more words in the English language. The words that you need to know to answer any questions should be words that you have studied already. If not, go through your study guides and books to get a better understanding.
There are plenty of things to look at when it comes to studying for the PTE short answer section of the exam. Knowing how to listen to and answer these types of questions will help you score higher on this section.