When it comes to the PTE speaking retell lecture you want to make sure that you know what you’re doing. You want to walk into the exam feeling confident and that means studying before test day. Do you know what you should be studying for each section of the exam? Take a look here for a little more information.
Pte Retell Lecture Tips
- Take Notes – You’re only going to get 10 seconds after the lecture stops to organize your thoughts and decide what you’re going to say. If you don’t have any notes to help you do it then you may not be prepared. Taking notes makes sure you don’t miss anything important that you need to talk about in your summary.
- Prepare Yourself – During the 10 seconds of preparation time you get before speaking, make sure that you review your notes. But also leave a moment to take a deep breath. You will need to speak fluently in order to get a higher score, and you need to be ready for that. Taking a breath allows you to perform better when you start talking.
- Let Mistakes Go – If you start talking and make a mistake let it go. That means you do not want to dwell on anything that you do wrong. If you dwell on it you are likely to make even more mistakes. Instead, accept it and keep going. This will keep you from making additional mistakes.
- Skip the Pauses – If you don’t know what to say it is common to pause or to use filler words to take up space. Do not do this. Pauses of more than 3 seconds will stop the mic from recording. Shorter pauses can interrupt your fluency and decrease your score. And filler words will decrease your score as well.
- Connect Your Sentences – Don’t just state a sentence for each point that was made and stop. Instead, make sure your sentences flow together. You want your speech to sound like a single speech or lecture of your own rather than a list of sentences. This will make you sound more fluent.
- Start With a Template – You can write up a template before the lecture begins to help you get all of the information that you need prepared. The template should mention the overall topic of the article as well as at least three points that were mentioned and a conclusion.
Your PTE Retell Lecture Template
Topic – The first thing you need is the topic of the lecture. This will be mentioned at the very beginning when the speaker first starts. You need to be paying attention in order to catch it.
3 Points – Listen for at least three but possibly four points that the speaker makes during the lecture. These points are the main thing you need to say in your summary.
Conclusion – What did the speaker conclude at the end of the lecture? What was the overall idea that was stated?
PTE Retell Lecture Practice
Take a little time to practice listening to lectures and summarizing them. Remember, you will only get to hear the lecture one time when you are in the exam. That lecture will be somewhere between 60 and 90 seconds and will discuss a single topic with multiple points.
Practice how you will summarize the lecture to get the main points across to a listener. Keep in mind it’s not only about how much of the information you remember. While it is important to have all of the information you can, it’s also important to speak properly.
You need to speak as fluently as you can. That means you need to sound as much like a native speaker as you can. You can do this by paying attention to your inflection, including how you pronounce words and grammatical pieces like commas and periods. You should also pay attention to how often you use filler words or pauses when you speak.
While you are recording you need to keep talking from the beginning of the summary until you are ready for the recording to stop. If you pause you could shut off the recording too early, which will keep you from getting all of the points.
Take a little time to do some PTE speaking retell lecture practice. These tips will help you along the way to make sure that you are prepared when you first walk into the room to take your exam.