Transportation is a topic that often comes up in the IELTS speaking part 1. Below you will find a list of some example questions and answers that you could encounter during part 1 of the IELTS Speaking test.
The questions below are based on the real IELTS speaking exam. They serve as a great IELTS Speaking Part 1 prediction questions to help you prepare better before your test.
Transportation Speaking Part 1 – Set 1
- What is the most common method of transportation in your country?In my country, there is a plethora of means of transportation. Public transport is popular, and primarily consists of buses and trains. Many people travel by car and some like to cycle.
- How do most people commute where you live?Most people use cars to commute. Buses are also an option, but they may take longer to get to the destination, and may not always be on time. Such is the nature of public transportation!
- Are there any traffic problems in your area?Yes, there are some. Because many people use cars to travel around, there are many traffic jams. Marseille has one of the heaviest traffics in France.
- How do these affect you?Traffic jams are problematic when I drive to work, because it’s hard to predict when I will get to my office. Even if I were to take a bus, there is no telling how long it would take me, either.
- What is the most common mode of transport in your country?The most common form is still the car as a lot of people drive. The advantage of this is you can get directly to the place you want and it might be quicker door to door. On the other hand, fuel prices are sky high at the moment so public transport is cheaper.
- What kind of transportation system would you like to see in the future?I would like to see a high speed rail network that connects the whole country that gets you from A to B in no time. In Spain, you can travel easily from city to city but getting along the coast or inland can be a nightmare. Sitting on a train for 4 or 5 hours is like watching paint dry, so I would like a faster system.
Transportation Vocabulary Speaking Part 1 – Set 1
- sky high (prices) – very expensive
- like watching paint dry – very boring
- What means of transport do you use for daily travel?I usually drive around. Cars are very common in the United States, although public transportation is available in some cities. I like to use my car as I find it is more reliable, time-management-wise.
- How did you travel to school when you were younger?I used to take the yellow school bus and all my friends used to ride it, which made the experience enjoyable. It can be intimidating to travel with others, but it was nice to feel like we were all in the same boat.
- in the same boat – in the same situation