Music is a topic that often comes up in the IELTS speaking part 1. Below you will find a list of some example questions and answers that you could encounter during part 1 of the IELTS Speaking test.
The questions below are based on the real IELTS speaking exam. They serve as a great IELTS Speaking Part 1 prediction questions to help you prepare better before your tesat.
Music Speaking Part 1 – Set 1
- What type of music do you listen to?I enjoy all kinds of music genres. I grew up listening extensively to both Rock and Jazz music, so they have a special place in my heart. But I also enjoy Indie music and Soul.
- Do you prefer to listen to music alone, or in company of your friends’ company?Sometimes, there may be albums that are very close to my heart, and so I may listen to those alone. But if I share the same passion for an artist as my friends do, we may listen to them together.
Music Vocabulary Speaking Part 1 – Set 1
- genres– kinds, types
- have a special place in my heart – are important to me
- close to my heart – important to me, dear to me
- Do you enjoy singing?Interesting question, I like singing along to the radio or in the show but I would never sing in public as I think I am probably tone deaf. I have never had a natural singing ability so I prefer to sing when I am alone.
- Did you sing when you were growing up?Yes, I did sing at school in assembly and for a short time I was in the school choir. When you are very young you are less self-conscious about performing in public so I often took part in concerts and plays. Now, wild horses wouldn’t get me on stage.
- Would you consider paying for singing classes?Maybe it would be a good idea but I think it would be a waste of money. I think people are born with the ability to sing well and I definitely missed that particular skill when my parents had me. So no, I wouldn’t even consider it.
- What type of music do you enjoy listening to?I like all sorts. From pop music that is popular at the moment, to hip hop music and also I quite like some of the traditional Polish music my family enjoys. I listen to pop music when I am working and hip hop when I am exercising at home. There is a time and a place for everything.
- When do you usually listen to music?I listen to music most of the time; on my headphones on public transport on the way to work; there is music playing in the cafe where I work also. I listen to my music when I am working out and I listen to some chilled out music if I am trying to relax after a hard day.
- Do you prefer to listen to music alone or with friends?It depends on how I am feeling. If I am in the mood to be sociable it is great to listen with friends and sing or dance together. On the other hand, if I want to relax I am more likely to put on some music through my headphones and zone out into my own personal space.
- Can music affect your mood?Yes, I think that it can. If I am feeling a bit down, I listen to some dance music and it helps to cheer me up and give me energy. If you are sad and listen to depressing music, it only brings you down further. Music is very powerful.
- How is it possible that music affects mood?I think it is to do with how it affects our brains. Upbeat music can produce a chemical that makes us feel happier whereas calming music encourages our brains to relax. I am not sure exactly of the science, but it definitely works.
- Do you use music to change your mood?Yes, it is sometimes difficult to make a change when you are feeling low but I try to remember the positive effect and put on some lively music to feel better. Before I go to sleep, I sometimes listen to some acoustic music as it has a more calming effect
Set 3 Vocabulary
- zone out – lose concentration, relax
- cheer somebody up – make somebody happier
- bring somebody down – make somebody feel depressed
- feeling low – feeling sad
- What music do you like?I really enjoy listening to pop music and sometimes rock. I like a lot of music that I see online; I follow pop stars on YouTube. I sometimes listen to rock as my family prefers this type of music and it is good to dance to but I generally like mainstream music.
- Do you play a musical instrument?I play the piano. I have been playing since I was very young as my parents were keen on me learning an instrument. When I was younger I didn’t like practicing but now I can see I am lucky to have learnt. I would like to play the guitar but I don’t have time right now.
- How often do you play it?I practice several times a week and I have a class once a week. My parents are quite pushy, they encourage me to play as much as possible and I have done my exams and achieved a good level.
Set 4 Vocabulary
- mainstream– popular
- keen on – to like, to be enthusiastic about
- pushy– excessively assertive
- What kind of music do you listen to?I listen to a plethora of music styles. I am more inclined to listen to Pop or Rock music, but I appreciate the occasional piece of classical music. Depending on my mood, I also enjoy listening to Indie music.
- Have you ever attended a music concert?I have! My flatmate and I are two peas in a pod when it comes to music. We took a trip to London over summer break to see our favourite band X. It was a truly memorable event!
- Would you someday like to learn to play a musical instrument?I would really love to. I enjoy instrumental music that includes the piano. It takes great dexterity to play it, but hopefully I can learn to play some tunes someday!
Set 5 Vocabulary
- inclined – likely
- two peas in a pod – very similar
- dexterity – skill that usually requires the use of hands for completing certain tasks