With IELTS listening Multiple Choice with Multiple Answers questions, you’ll choose all of the correct answers from a list of choices. Do your best not to confuse these questions with the multiple choice questions that ask you to choose only one correct answer. You will need to read the question carefully to decide if you should choose all possible (multiple) answers, or just one answer.
Table of Contents
1. This is how the question will appear on your question paper:
You can circle or mark the right answer options on the listening question paper and later transfer them to the answer sheet later in case of paper-based IELTS. They do not have to be in order.
2. Tips Before You Listen
Here are some tips that will help you before you listen to the audio:
- Read the instructions carefully!
- For the multiple choice, multiple answer questions, you will have a longer list of answer options from which to choose.
- You will have time to read the questions with their answer options before the recording plays.
- Mark key words from the question and answer options, so you can listen for them.
- Think of possible synonyms for your key words.
- Based on the question and answer options, predict the topic and possible content of the audio you are about to hear.
- Your answers will usually be a letter, not a word
3. Tips While you Listen
Here are tips to consider as you are listening:
- The answers will be in the same order as the information you hear.
- You will need to listen to the overall meaning of what the speaker(s) are saying, as well as listening for specific details and key words.
- Even after you locate the information, keep listening, because the speaker may add more information that will change the answer.
- The questions usually use synonyms of words found in the audio. You may hear the exact words used in the answer options, but be careful to decide what the correct answer should be.
- Use the process of elimination to narrow down the correct answer.
- If you have trouble with a question, make an educated guess and move on. You don’t want to lose your place in the audio and risk missing even more questions. Don’t leave any answers blank, even if you have to guess. There is no negative marking.
4. Ready to try a sample question?
First, read the question with its answer options. Then, click play and listen to the audio to find the answers. During the actual exam, you will only be able to hear the audio once, so try to answer both questions as you listen one time. Of course, since you are practicing, you may listen to the audio multiple times to become more familiar with the question type and how to answer it.
Ready? Here is the question.
Questions 9 and 10.
Choose the TWO correct answers, A-E.
What TWO forms of payment does the company accept?
Now, listen to the audio and answer the question.