With IELTS Multiple Choice with One Answer questions, you’ll choose one correct answer from a list of three or possibly four choices. Do your best not to confuse these questions with the multiple choice questions that ask you to choose more than one correct answer. You will need to read the question carefully to decide if you should choose just one answer, or if the question is asking for all possible (multiple) answers.
Table of Contents
1. These questions can appear in three different ways.
2. Tips Before You Listen
Here are some tips that will help you before you listen to the audio:
- Read the instructions carefully.
- You will have time to read the questions with their answer options before the recording plays.
- Mark key words from the question and answer options, so you can listen for them. You can even underline the key words.
- Think of possible synonyms for your key words.
- Based on the question and answer options, predict the topic and possible content of the audio you are about to hear.
- Your answers will usually be a letter, not a word
3. Tips While you Listen
Here are tips to consider as you are listening:
- You will need to listen to the overall meaning of what the speaker(s) are saying, as well as listening for specific details and key words.
- Even after you locate the information, keep listening, because the speaker may add more information that will change the answer.
- The questions usually use synonyms of words found in the audio. You may hear the exact words used in the answer options, but be careful to decide what the correct answer should be.
- Use the process of elimination to narrow down the correct answer.
- If you have trouble with a question, make an educated guess and move on. You don’t want to lose your place in the audio and risk missing more questions.
4. Ready to try some sample questions?
First, take a look at these two questions. Then, click play and listen to the audio to find the answers. During the actual exam, you will only be able to hear the audio once, so try to answer both questions as you listen one time. Of course, since you are practicing, you may listen to the audio multiple times to become more familiar with the question type and how to answer it.
Ready? Here are the questions.
Choose the correct letter, A, B or C.
Now, listen to the audio and answer the question.