Venue: Adelaide, South Australia
Date: November 3, 2018
Surprisingly, there was no surprise in November OET Writing exam! Candidates were simply required to write a referral letter to a community nurse of a small rural place where the patient would be moving. There were a couple of home visits by you, the nurse, to the patient’s home for abdominal pain and medication compliance issues.
Below are some of the case notes reproduced from our students’ memory. These may not be complete but fully capture the essence of what OET Writing section was about on 3rd November exam in Adelaide, Australia.
You can use Benchmark Writing Correction Service to get your letter corrected for mistakes and OET writing tips.
Name: Mr Peter Barton
Age: 62 years old
Status: divorced (lives alone)
Diagnosis: Abdo ascites
- 1 son and 1 daughter (live interstate)
- Limited Contact with them
- Brother and Sister Live in a rural area, Hilton
Presence of excretion of abdo cyst -> increasing alcohol consumption
Shortness of breath
- Chronic heart disease 10 years
- Arterial Fibrillation
- cirrhosis / chronic liver disease
- Abdo ascites 5 years ago
- Drinking heavily for 30 years
- Medications (furosemide, digoxin – 3 more medication names were given)
First Visit – 27 October 208
- Took vital signs
- Many bottles in fridge
- no food in fridge
- Pt complained abdo pain
- not interested in talking to nurse
- Abdo ascites
- not taking medication regularly
Second Visit – 3 November 2018
- condition improved
- pain reduced
- remain medication complaint
- patient going to move to the rural are where brother and sister live
- refer pt to rural centre today
- monitor medication compliance
- monitor alcohol intake
- regular visits by home nurse (if pt cannot visit clinic)
Write a referral letter to the Community Nurse, Hilton Community Centre regarding Mr. Peter Barton who will move to Hilton and require support for his ongoing condition.
In your answer:
- Expand on the relevant case notes into complete sentences.
- Do not use note form.
- Use letter format
The body of the letter should be approximately 180-200 words.
Need feedback on your writing – CLICK HERE